Dog Licenses

Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office or read below for information on how to obtain a dog license.



What dogs must be licensed? -Every dog owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed. The only exemptions are: dogs under six months of age not running at large; dogs harbored in New York City (these dogs must be licensed by the NYC Dept. Health); if a non-resident brings a dog into New York State for less than 30 days and the dog is licensed according to the resident state’s licensing laws; dogs confined to the premises of any public or private hospital, research institution or a Class A Dealer with a certificate of exemption from the Commissioner.

How to License Your Dog – Apply for a dog license at the Tully Town Clerk’s office located in the Tully Municipal Building, 5833 Meetinghouse Rd. Office hours are Mon 9am-4pm,Tues 2pm-7pm, Wed 9am-4pm, Thurs 9am-4pm. For guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police work dogs or service dogs, satisfactory proof is required, such as a training certificate, etc., for licenses.

The owner will need: if the dog is spayed or neutered, a certificate from a licensed veterinarian or an affidavit from the owner showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, unless this proof is already on file with the clerk. All dogs three months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine.

License Fees -The license fees at the present time for the Town of Tully are: $5.00 for spayed or neutered dogs; $13.00 for unspayed or unneutered dogs (Note: $3.00 of this fee is used to fund the Animal Population Control Program);

NO FEE for Guide, War, Hearing, Police Work, or Service dogs. In addition, the town offers a senior discount.  For residents over 65, the cost of their dog’s license is $2.50. Once licensed, the annual renewal forms will be mailed directly to the dog owner by the Town Clerk.

How to Change a License -To ensure the accuracy of license records, it is essential that any change to the information on the license be provided to the local licensing agent. The owner must provide in writing any of the following changes: dog ownership, dog owner’s address, loss or theft of the dog (and if the dog is found, its return) death of a dog.

Dog License Monies – Any local fees collected are kept by the licensing municipality (Town of Tully) for dog control services as well as impoundment fees and fines and/or penalties for violations.

Local Dog Control Services -In the Town of Tully, the Dog Control Officer is Laura Holt, 696-6468. Every licensing town, city or village must have a Dog Control Officer (DCO) and municipal shelter services. The DCO and shelter service enforces both State and any local dog laws and ordinances. Further, it is the DCO’s responsibility to pick up lost and stray dogs and humanely care for them until they can be reunited with their owners. If your dog is lost, or you find a lost dog, immediately contact your local DCO or shelter. Owners should seek lost, unidentified dogs at the municipal shelter. If a dog is lost but identified with a Town of Tully identification tag, the DCO will contact the Town Clerk to trace the dog tag to the owner. The local dog control officer must institute action for violations of both state and local laws. Fines or civil penalties shall be up to $25 for the first offense, $50 for the second, and $100 for the third and subsequent offenses. If dogs injure or kill livestock, the local assessor should be notified immediately. Do NOT destroy or bury the animals. They must be available for examination so the assessor can appraise the damage.

Rabies Vaccinations -Onondaga County has seen an increase in the incidence of rabies over the past several years. Dog and cat owners should have their pets vaccinated by their veterinarian, or at a Rabies Vaccination Clinic sponsored by the Onondaga County Health Department Animal Disease Prevention. For more information, pick up a Vaccination Clinic Schedule at the Tully Municipal Building, or call Animal Disease Prevention at 315-435-3165. Do not try to feed wild animals that might have rabies. Do not keep them as pets. Raccoons, skunks, foxes, bats, and other wild animals may be infected with rabies and should not be touched. Stay away from stray animals. Cats and dogs that roam outdoors are more likely to be infected with rabies and may bite you. Do not try to feed or pet them. Make sure that your home and yard do not attract raccoons. Keep garbage cans tightly convered. Do not leave pet food outdoors. Cap chimneys and seal places where raccoons and other animals can get in and hide. Have your pets vaccinated against rabies, and keep the vaccination up-to-date. If your pet has been in a fight with a wild or stray animal, wear gloves to handle your pet, and call your veterinarian. If you are bitten or scratched, wash the wound with lots of soap and water, and call your doctor immediately. Report all animal bites to the Animal Disease Control office of the Onondaga County Health Department at 315-435-3165.